From: Bill Rutiser (wru_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-26 20:47:00

I wrote:

Let me add a warning about informal reasoning about concurrent
processes. There exist clever, efficient, synchronization schemes,
proved to be correct for two processes, that fail badly for three.

"informal" and perhaps "proved". What I was really trying to
suggest is that these are extremely tricky areas where it is easy to
go wrong. Twenty years ago, I wrote, tested, proved, and was
embarassed by an incorrect syncronization primitive. One
important lesson I learned was "think about more than two
processes".

My subsequent work has been in other areas so I am out of touch
with current practice and art. However, I anticipate a need for
thread facilities in the not too distant future and am grateful the
work Boost is doing.

-- Bill Rutiser