From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-08-30 16:04:58

Dietmar Kuehl wrote:

>Boost has grown to significant size and different topics of interest
>have emerged. Since our time and possibly also the participation at
>the Toronto Boost Meeting is limited I propose that we decide at least
>on a tentative agenda for this meeting. The agenda might attract people
>not participating in C++ standardization to participate in the
Boost >discussions. Those who cannot attend the meeting might be interested
in >communicating their position on the discussed topics prior to the
meeting >to be taken into account by the participants.

>Basically, I fear that we will make less progress if we stick to the
>more or less informal mode used at the Kona and Tokyo meetings:
Positions >had to be formulated more less on the fly without prepration
time to >identify eg. the crucial differences between the various hash
table >implementations. I have some hope that some of the more
controversial >discussions can be brought to some agreement if we have some
form of >potentially competing proposals for the items under discussion
(this
>might apply to hash tables as well as to the multi threading area).
>
>The topics to be discussed would probably depend strongly on the people
>participating. For example, I would consider it pretty pointless to
>discuss graph issues if Jeremy does not participate. Thus, it might help
>if we could somehow put together a list of people who are planning
to >attend the Boost Meeting.

>Just a few thought...

Thanks, Dietmar!

The Boost meeting will be on Sunday, October 22, at 1 PM. Novotel Toronto
Centre Hotel in downtown Toronto. We have to vacate the room around 5:30
PM.

I've heard from these Boost people who plan to attend:
   Dave Abrahams
   Beman Dawes
   Howard Hinnant
   Dietmar Kuehl
   Jens Maurer
   Jeremy Siek
I've heard from these Boost people who do not plan to attend:
   Greg Colvin
   William Kempf

Yes, a more formal agenda with planned topics would be helpful. Here are
some possible topics:

* Design of the Boost Threading/Concurrency library. Format: Progress
reports from several participants followed by discussion.

* Applying Generative Programming to smart pointers. Beman Dawes. Format:
Progress report followed by discussion.

If anyone else has topics they would like to present, let me know.

I don't think it is realistic to ask people to prepare polished
presentations. But perhaps people who have already submitted documents
could present them briefly.

Further background: The goal of the C++ committee in Toronto will be to
finish work on a Technical Corrigenda (TC). Library extension proposals
are not yet in order, but the library working group (LWG) will briefly
discuss the process to be used for extension proposals. Best guess right
now is that starting with the meeting after Toronto (Copenhagen, Denmark,
29 April 2001) the LWG will devote some portion of each meeting to
extension proposals.

--Beman