From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-09-11 08:11:25

> >> Why not choose the simpler option? Don't put it in. Provide the user
> >> with a facility that is as clear as it could possibly be.
> >
> >What technical problem would that solve?
>
> It solves people problems not technical problems: It has the same
> technical benefits as before.

_Hypothetical_ people problems. That's the point. We have no hard data on
this. A "my intuition is better than your intuition" debate can go on
forever.

I'll try to summarize.

Let me define a < b as "a is before b in their natural ordering."

The question is, if there is one and only one ordering, can it not be the
natural ordering? (The best example is type_info.)

You say yes, an ordering, even the only one, may not deserve the title
"natural ordering."

I say that this single ordering by definition is the natural ordering for
the
type.

The reason for my position is that it is objective, not subjective. Who gets
to decide whether the ordering is "worthy"? A committee? :)

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.