From: William Kempf (sirwillard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-09-12 16:01:29

--- In boost_at_[hidden], "David Abrahams" <abrahams_at_m...> wrote:

> [...]
Boost
> > libraries, I think it's time I became familiar with a more
compliant
> > compiler such as gcc.
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org is your ticket to gcc documentation and
everything else
> gcc ;)

Thanks.

BTW, if you run the buf_test() in the code compiled by gcc you get a
memory access error. Trying to debug it in gdb indicates a SIGSEGV,
Segmentation fault with the following error:

0x41522e in LBB32 () at //d/dev-c++/projects/threads/starvephil.cpp:51
51 //d/dev-c++/projects/threads/starvephil.cpp: No such file or
directory.

This makes no sense at all, since starvephil.cpp isn't really used in
this code (test_starving_philosopher is commented out in main.cpp)
and line 51 is the closing brace for the canteen::put method which is
definately never called (verified with a break point, no less). I
also don't know why gdb reports "No such file or directory", though
that's a minor issue here. I don't have a clue how to debug using
gdb so I can't determine why this error occurs. I don't know if I
have a real bug in my code which never materializes when compiled in
VC++ or if there's some other problem. If anyone's familiar with
gcc/gdb (and possibly Dev-C++) and feels like helping me figure this
bug out I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Bill Kempf