From: Levente Farkas (lfarkas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-09-14 08:26:26

William Kempf wrote:
> I replied to this once before, but it seems to have disappeared in
> the ether. If I wind up double posting I appologize.
>
> > my timings are VERY different. my machine is a 450Mhz PIII with
> 128Mb RAM,
> > with windows98 4.10.1998. with VC++ 6.0 SP4 (Release version of the
> test
> > program) the average times from 5 runs:
> > ------------------
> > Testing Boost mutex...
> > 102600
> > Testing Win32 critical section...
> > 320
> > Testing Win32 mutex...
> > 22800
> > ------------------
>
> I'm on a Pentium 330Mhz machine with 128Mb RAM. I compiled using
> VC++ 6.0 SP4. I'm running Windows NT 4.0 SP 5. Typical results I
> get are:
>
> Testing Boost mutex...
> 1552
> Testing Win32 critical section...
> 160
> Testing Win32 mutex...
> 7781

mesaure on a 733Mhz PIII win2000 the result:
Testing Boost mutex...
731
Testing Win32 critical section...
70
Testing Win32 mutex...
15762
so in win2000 it's realy faster than mutex, although I not realy belive
that we can (or have to) reimplement OS specific code if it's slow than
it's the os implementor's task to make it better.
I know it's just a reference implementation:-)

 -- Levente
 "The only thing worse than not knowing the truth is
  ruining the bliss of ignorance."