From: William Kempf (sirwillard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-10-02 09:12:09

--- In boost_at_[hidden], "David Abrahams" <abrahams_at_m...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I realize that smart pointer development is effectively stalled
because we
> only want to build the perfect, infinitely parametrizable smart
pointer once
> at this point<0.1wink>, but I find myself in need of auto_array (no,
> scoped_array/shared_array won't do - I need to release ownership).
I just
> wanted to put that feature request into the giant river we've
already got
> ;-)

Won't std::vector work for you? Though not currently standardized,
there's a DR to insure, and all known implementations todate work
with:

legacy_func(&vec[0]);

At least with the obvious safe guards (the vector must have a size
greater than 0, for instance).

Given this, there's very few reasons to need an auto_array (lack of a
release() is one of the few I can think of right off the top of my
head).

Bill Kempf