From: Rich Lee (llee1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-10-09 13:17:58

One approach to test connectivity is to count number of forests.
you only need to write a visitor to count vertices started and use this
visitor to
call depth_first_search. For example the visitor is like:

struct counter {
  typedef boost::on_start_vertex event_filter;

  counter(int* n) : number_of_started(n) {}

  template <class Vertex, class Graph>
  operator()(const Vertex& u, const Graph& g) {
   ++(*number_of_started);
 }

  shared_ptr<int> number_of_started;
};

Now you can call depth_first_search like that:

int* number_of_started = new int(0);
counter count(number_of_started);

//G is a graph object.
depth_first_search(G, boost::dfs_visitor<counter>(count), color.begin());

The above approach has complexity of O(N+M), where N and W are number of
vertices and edges, respectively.

Another approach is to use depth_first_visit. You could write a visitor like
above
but counting discovered vertices this time. The event_filter should be
boost::on_discover_vertex. You may write a new algorithm to set color first,
then call depth_first_visit:

template <class Graph, class Vecrtex, class DFSVisitor vis, ColorPA color>
void connectivity_test (Graph& g, Vertex u, DFSVisitor vis, ColorPA color) {
    typename property_traits<ColorPA>::value_type c = get(color, Vertex());

    typename graph_traits<VertexListGraph>::vertex_iterator ui, ui_end;
    for (tie(ui, ui_end) = vertices(g); ui != ui_end; ++ui) {
      put(color, *ui, white(c));
      vis.initialize_vertex(*ui, g);
    }

    vis.start_vertex(u, g);
    depth_first_visit(g, u, vis, color);
}

This approach may be faster if graph is disconnected.

Lie-Quan Lee