From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-10-11 11:27:26

At 11:22 AM 10/11/2000 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:

>> To me it seems only fitting that a group committed to writing
>> standard-conforming C++ would produce standard-conforming HTML.
>
>I totally agree with the intention. But it certainly seems like it could
be
>a serious additional barrier to entry at boost, an idea which I don't
like
>at all. I hear that most of the automated tools generate garbage, by an
>HTML-expert's standards, but I'm not sure I do any better by hand. I sure
>wish someone else would weigh in on this; I don't know enough to speak
with
>authority.

I have a lot of trouble understanding how the boost web site could even
function without using automated tools. FrontPage (the site maintenance
tool I use internally to maintain the web site) does quite a large number
of things for us automatically that would be impractical by hand. And
because it is a single integrated package, it is very easy to use. I
notice from the HTML that comes in from other people that they also often
use similar tools, rather than just whacking away at HTML by hand.

--Beman