From: Gary Powell (Gary.Powell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-10-12 16:30:16

Hi,
  Let me first apologize for sending raw code around. I hit reply when I
should have cut and pasted his address. So if anyone other then Andras is
interested in pursuing these proxies let me know and I'll send the updates
directly to you.

Second. In my experimenting I have uncovered several annoying bugs in gcc
2.95 which leads me to suspect using proxies will not gain any efficiency
unless your compiler is very good.

bug 1 was duplicate construction,destruction, which in most cases can be
ignored in this case it did a double increment. Yikes! I made the copy
constructor private and it went away.

bug2 was in the PointerProxy forwarding of operator*() for doing **(op++),
when I used the flag -03 the code works fine!.

Anyway after more playing around with this, I think it works well enough for
those who don't care whether std::copy and their ilk work without a cast.

your-real-not-a-proxy-template-happy-generic-programmer
wishing-gcc3.0-would-come-out-soon

  -gary-

gary.powell_at_[hidden]