From: Anton Gluck (gluc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-10-16 15:01:24

Dave,

> Wouldn't hurt to download the latest. I think there were some bugs in the
> 10/11 version. That probably has nothing to do with your problem, though.

I saw the note about the new version just as I sent out my mail. I'll try
it tonight. From what you wrote in your note I had gathered that the
changes most likely wouldn't affect my problems, so I decided to send my
mail anyway.

> > LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib "LIBCD" conflicts with use of other
> > libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
> >
> > The first one is probably not so important, but I'm not sure about the
> > second one. Do you have any suggestions?
>
> I don't know if it's important or not. To be honest, I've never built the
> source files into a DLL, so they may not be set up optimally for that job.
> The only way I've ever tried this is by statically linking the source files
> into my extension module. On the other hand, I think these warning messages
> are failrly self-explanatory. The MSDN help for the 2nd one is quite
> extensive. Just hit F1 from MSVC and type "LNK4098" into the index tab.

Thanks to Lois' and Beman's replies chances are that this'll be fixed
soon.

> > Related to this, how would you suggest to go about wrapping a large
> > DLL? Is the piece-meal approach not feasible? Is writing wrapper code an
> > all-or-nothing adventure?
>
> I'm sorry; could you be more explicit? What do you mean by "piece-meal"?

The DLL I work with is compiled in one MSVC workspace with five projects.
All together there are maybe 25 source code files, and perhaps 30 header
files. In order to get started, I set up a new workspace with just one of
the projects, and with only one class which I whittled down to just the
constructor. The plan was to get this wrapped, add the code back, wrap,
add the other classes, wrap, add the other projects, wrap. That's what I
meant with piece-meal. I had earlier tried to take the whole workspace as
is and add the wrapper code in steps, but ran into the same problems.

So my general problem here was: how does one best deal with a complex DLL
- can one break it into pieces and get them to work independently (as far
as the C++ code itself allows), or does one have to do everything (all the
wrapping) at once?

Thanks,

Toni