From: Moore, Paul (paul.moore_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-10-17 08:05:41

From: Peter Dimov [mailto:pdimov_at_[hidden]]
> * Domain-specific libraries (py_cpp, graph, regex) that aren't allowed
> to depend on other layer 3 libraries, only on layer 2 and below.
>
> The goal would be that layer 1 components will be 'essential', layer 2
> components would be useful, but not mandatory unless using layer 3
> libraries.
>
> Comments?

I see a fundamental distinction between graph and regex, and py_cpp and
(say) threading or GUI libraries. It is that the former two have no
dependency on the platform (OS, other language libraries, etc etc). Whether
this pushes graph and regex down a layer, or adds a fourth layer, I don't
know.

I suppose it's the difference between libraries which everyone "can" use
(whether or not they want to) and ones which require "something else" beyond
a (conforming) C++ compiler to use.

Is it only me who sees this as a fundamental distinction?

Paul.