From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-10-18 11:44:24

An update of py_cpp has been posted to
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/abrahams/downloads/py_cpp.html.

Several people mentioned that support for emulating numeric types was
important to them, so it has been added. It does not (and cannot, due to the
way Python was written) follow the same protocol as true Python class
instances do (i.e. there is no support for __radd__). For an explanation of
what happens, until we have it in the py_cpp documentation, see the
description of nb_coerce at
http://starship.python.net/crew/arcege/extwriting/pyextnum.html and the
bottom of
http://www.pythonlabs.com/pub/www.python.org/doc/2.0b1/ref/numeric-types.htm
l (remembering that we don't have true class instances).

Ullrich Koethe has also contributed code for implicit up/downcasting.
Excellent job, Ullrich!

Examples of all of this can be found in the usual demo files
(extclass_demo.*, test_extclass.py). More complete documentation will be
forthcoming.

Regards,
Dave