From: Gabriel Dos Reis (Gabriel.Dos-Reis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-10-20 06:43:24

"David Abrahams" <abrahams_at_[hidden]> writes:

> [...]

Probably because the original question didn't reflect what you
intended? ;-)

| ... Suppose you have an arbitrary type T (possibly
| user-defined) for which numeric_limits<> is specialized. How do you find the
| minimum representable value?

If is an integer type, then you're done; else you have a floating
point type and the canonical model is sign-magnitude and you take
-max(). Yes that assumes only integer and floating point types are
supported by numeric_limits<>.

Floating point types which don't use sign-magnitude aren't covered --
actually I don't think they are widely used, since LIA or IEEE models
tends to be the standard; both models use sign-magnitude.

Am I still missing your point? :-)

-- Gaby