From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-10-27 20:52:52

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Evans" <mark.evans_at_[hidden]>

> David,
>
> Another neat thing about the CXX classes is that they throw
> exceptions -- all the way back into Python -- from their
> constructors if the constructor arguments are wrong.

I assume you're speaking of the CXX wrappers for the Python built-in types
(e.g. tuple). Py_cpp does the same thing when the type is used as an
argument to a C++ function which is exposed in Python. For other situations,
I made a different design choice, under the assumption that it was probably
a programming error to construct a py::Tuple from a python object which was
not a tuple. For those situations, I have been using assert(). I am open to
discussion about this decision. In any case I think it would probably be a
very good idea to throw an exception back into Python after assert()ing so
that users will at least be protected when the code is compiled in Release
mode.

-Dave