From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-07 11:56:04

In message <4.3.2.7.2.20001106133711.00b8dcf0_at_[hidden]>, Beman
Dawes <beman_at_[hidden]> writes
>I believe "any" should be accepted by boost.

Thanks.

>The docs would benefit from additional guidance to users:
>
>* What's a simple, compelling example of a problem which class any solves
>in better way than alternative solutions?

Yes, I think this would be a useful addition. I will add a worked
example (a source file linked from the docs), and also structure the
examples section more explicitly.

>* When is class any the technique of choice for representing a generic
>type? IOW, what problem characteristics indicate class any is the right
>tool?
>
>* When is class any NOT the best technique for representing a generic
>type? IOW, what problem characteristics indicate class any is the wrong
>tool? An inheritance hierarchy with a common base class (or whatever) is
>sometimes a better way, but how do you decide?

I will add a usage section.

>* Is class any itself CopyConstructible, Assignable, EqualityComparable,
>LessThanComparable?

It's currently documented that any satisfies ValueType requirements, but
this should go into more detail.

>* What Standard Library containers can class any be used in? Is there a
>way to have a std::set of any?

This can go into the usage section.

>* What's the typical sizeof() of an object of class any?

Interesting: Do we wish to be documenting at this level for Boost
classes in general?

Kevlin

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  Curbralan Limited mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  mailto:kevlin_at_[hidden] fax: +44 870 052 2289
  http://www.curbralan.com