From: Mark Rodgers (mark.rodgers_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-07 13:42:54

I have to say that I feel pretty strongly that any should lose
this conversion. It allows comparisons of anys and IMHO that is
a very Bad Thing.

Programmers don't read documentation. If programmers want to
know if comparisons of anys work, they will most likely write a
comparison and compile it. If it compiles it will be assumed to
work. Only after hours of debugging will they discover that
their set of anys was a bad idea. At that point they will curse
boost as a bunch of fools, and trying to suggest they should
have read the documentation wouldn't change this opinion.

We can avoid this unhappy situation if we just remove the void*
conversion and replace it with a function to test emptiness.

Mark