From: Lutz Kettner (kettner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-21 15:38:59

Hi,

I am listening for about a week now. I guess it is about time
to say a few words in this thread -- I am one of the CGAL developers:

> As a whole, I think the design of CGAL is quite nice. Some of the ideas
> like circulators seem like they would be usefull.

Thanks :-)

> Second, CGAL is based on the LEDA graph library which
> has several disadvantages:

CGAL does _not_ depend on LEDA. You can install and use CGAL without
having LEDA.

However, we have close ties with the LEDA folks and CGAL benefits
from having LEDA around. For example, LEDA contains good number types
for exact arithmetic. However, if you don't install LEDA, you can
still use CGAL, and we support also other exact number types,
GMP and CNL. Others are easy to add. Similar for visualization.
We support the LEDA 2D and 3D window. Occasionally, also some
geometric functionality works only if LEDA is there. The manual
mentions that for example for CGALL::Point_set_2 and for
CGAL::convex_hull_3.