From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-22 17:58:16

In message <v03110702b641f5971e24@[153.32.222.4]>, Jesse Jones
<jejones_at_[hidden]> writes
>>As another point, is there a reason that pointers are restricted to raw
>>pointers? This restriction is not necessary -- see http://www.cuj.com/ex
>>perts/1811/henney_x.html which allows other smart object pointers.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean here. Functor objects are supported. The only
>raw pointers are for member functions and there's doubt as to whethe they
>belong there.

Sorry for being unclear, I was referring to the member function pointers
and the fact that currently the binding is restricted to raw pointers,
ie it is

        template <typename OBJECT, typename METHOD>
        callback(OBJECT* object, METHOD method) ...

rather than

        template <typename PTR, typename METHOD>
        callback(PTR ptr, METHOD method) ...

Assuming smart pointers that supported operator->*, we have a higher
degree of openness and versatility for no extra cost.

Whether the class should support this inside or outside I leave as a
separate issue :->

Kevlin

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  Curbralan Limited mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  mailto:kevlin_at_[hidden] fax: +44 870 052 2289
  http://www.curbralan.com