From: John Maddock (John_Maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-26 06:23:35

Mark,

>It seems that the usage of is_convertible::value as the value for
>an enum forces the compiler to treat it as a compile time constant
>henceforth. Weird!

Thanks for trying that out, and you're right, that is weird!

Unfortunately the workaround only seems to work at namespace scope, I've
tried every which way I can think of to get it working inside template
classes (which is where is_convertible will be used after all), all to no
avail. So although it fixes the test program, it really just masks the
issue, and doesn't (as far as I can tell) help end users.

- John.