From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-29 13:23:20

In message <016501c05a2d$37995e00$330524d4_at_pdimov>, Peter Dimov
<pdimov_at_[hidden]> writes
>From: "Kevlin Henney" <kevlin_at_[hidden]>
>
>> Some, but certainly not the major part. Function objects fall into three
>> categories wrt state:
>>
>> (1) Stateless, eg functions, many of the function object types in the
>> standard, many predicates, many transformations.
>>
>> (2) Stateful but with fixed state, eg many bound function objects, many
>> of the other function object types in the library, many predicates, many
>> transformations.
>>
>> (3) Stateful but with changeable state, eg RNGs, accumulators.
>
>3.1. per-instance state
>3.2. per-class state

Sorry, I should have clarified that I was including per-class state in
the all the classifications, so that in (1) function refers to pure
function, (2) allows reference to const data, and (3) also includes side
effects outside a function object and also includes mutable function
statics.

Kevlin

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  Curbralan Limited mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  mailto:kevlin_at_[hidden] fax: +44 870 052 2289
  http://www.curbralan.com