From: d.frey_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-11-29 14:09:41

--- In boost_at_[hidden], Matthew Austern <austern_at_r...> wrote:
> Actually, I think I've convinced myself that the
> conversion from a string isn't worth it. Yes,

Which is OK for me...

> it's easy to parse a string and tell that
> "3.14" is the same as "314/1000", but it's easy
> enough that there's no good reason to do it for

You just gave the best reason: My example was

  c = a * 0.7 + b;

could be written like this:

  c = a * 7 / 10 + b;

but a nano-second of inattentiveness from your side could easily
result in a bug. Sure you know that 3.14 is not the same as 314/1000,
but you just made that mistake. It's therefore not only making the use
of 'rational' easier, but also safer!

Regards, Daniel