From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-30 14:27:17

In message <905s2v+5uif_at_[hidden]>, William Kempf <sirwillard_at_my-
deja.com> writes
>I hope that the mutex is an implementation detail (in a detail
>namespace) that shouldn't be touched by the users of this library.
>I've not looked at the code to verify this, but I would be loathe to
>except any library that exposes such a concept publicly at this
>point. The Boost Thread library will address all of these issues,
>and more, with a portable set of synchronization primitives that
>should replace the implementation details in any library accepted
>today. It would be a bad idea, IMHO, to have multiple such concepts
>exposed publicly in Boost.

Agreed.

If it is a private implementation detail, a comment that in future it
will be replaced by BTL would be appropriate. If it really must be
exposed, then expose it but deprecate it in the documentation,
mentioning the anticipated upgrade path.

Kevlin

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  Curbralan Limited mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  mailto:kevlin_at_[hidden] fax: +44 870 052 2289
  http://www.curbralan.com