From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-30 16:36:21

At 10:58 AM 11/30/2000 -0800, Gary Powell wrote:

>design issue:
>It's been a while since I've had a project which required my own memory
>pools but in the past I tended to use them in conjunction with a specific
>container, allocating all of the memory for that container from one pool.

Yes, that's the need I've had too. The containers have been my own, not
standard library containers.

>That's all fine and dandy but then it appears that these pools will
overlap
>for any data of a similar size. While that is interesting, it does mean
>that
>the pool can't go away until all of the memory allocated of a specific
size
>does. It's not exactly what I would have wished for.

That worries me, too. My practice has been to blow away the pool during
container destruction to avoid having to delete a gazillian individual
elements. But a shared pool also seems really useful.

Now you've got me interested; I guess I'll just have to read the pool
documentation!

--Beman