From: Gary Powell (Gary.Powell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-04 13:22:33

> So, having knowledge that the LL are currently being splitted into
> independent components anyway :), it might be a good time to start a
> discussion about the issue. I've uploaded to the vault my quick try to
> implement a more generic 'types_promotion_traits' "library" (which I'm
> planning to use in my geometry2d stuff); given it and the LL
> 'return_type_traits.hpp' header, I think we already have a lot of things
> discuss ;)
>
> Any comments are welcome.
We started with a "simple" solution too. On reading the standard and trying
to cover all the edge cases we ended up with the code you see. It's not the
clearest due to the number of overlapping cases but its actually not that
bad either.

LL needs the operator information to do the correct promotion.

BTW did you read the article "A Portable typeof Operator" by Bill Gibbons?
It think it was in CUJ October or September 2000. (I didn't find a copy on
their site.)

  -gary-