From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-07 03:56:15

In message <90meim+dsel_at_[hidden]>, gbavestrelli_at_[hidden] writes
>--- In boost_at_[hidden], Kevlin Henney <kevlin_at_c...> wrote:
>> In message <003901c05fa0$23f097b0$460a10ac_at_r...>, Kris Thielemans
>> <kris.thielemans_at_i...> writes

>> >just to have more natural index values in our application.
>
>This is very easy to add to the array, and does not complicate the
>interface much. But I preferred to leave it out, in line with
>standard C arrays and STL vectors. How do others feel about this?

I prefer to leave it out. It seems like unnecessary featurism. TBH its
absence has never been a show stopper in using arrays: quite the
opposite, in fact, as the semantics are clearer. My view is that if you
have a special mapping, it is the responsibility of the higher-level
class using it to deal with that. In other words, layering rather than
over-parameterisation.

Kevlin

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  Curbralan Limited mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  mailto:kevlin_at_[hidden] fax: +44 870 052 2289
  http://www.curbralan.com