From: Asger Alstrup Nielsen (alstrup_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-07 11:33:07

> Down the road I'd expect some people would find a need for
> the larger concept, though it's definately geared towards GUI
> applications and so may not be applicable to everyone's needs.

As demonstrated in a recent thread, this larger concept allows a clean
and simple de-coupled implementation of the Observer design pattern. So
in as much as the Observer design pattern is a general pattern that is
useful outside GUI code, so is the larger concept.

It's correct that it's probably most used in GUI code (where the
Observer pattern is often used), but my experience is that it is useful
in many other situations as well. I find it a very useful abstraction
that helps decoupling your program into truly separate units: Each
self-contained unit provides a set of signals as the external interface,
and then a controller binds the components together in the appropriate
way.

Once you have it, you don't want to live without it.

> Personally, I'd like to see both, but we at least need
> the smaller version.

Personally, I only need the larger version ;-)

Greets,

Asger Alstrup Nielsen