From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-07 11:54:31

In message <007201c06060$48ae8e20$b9cc63a6_at_BREYED>, Ed Brey
<brey_at_[hidden]> writes
>1. Is there a performance impact by using strstream instead of
>stringstream for lexical_cast?

Don't know as I haven't tested for performance across the different
library implementations.

>Presumably, a library implementer will
>put more optimization effort into a current class than a depreciated
>one. I'd hate to see performance drop for conforming platforms
>because of a code change to appease a nonconforming one. If this is
>the case, I'd say conditional compilation is in order.

Agreed, BOOST_NO_STRINGSTREAM?

>2. The classes bad_*_cast, don't have explicitly defined destructors.
>Do they need them so that they can specify empty throw specifications,
>so as to fit within the constraints of their base class?

Turns out that this is not required (see 15.4 para 13 in the standard).

Kevlin

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  Curbralan Limited mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  mailto:kevlin_at_[hidden] fax: +44 870 052 2289
  http://www.curbralan.com