From: Ullrich Koethe (koethe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-07 16:15:23

Thomas Matelich wrote:

> Ullrich Koethe wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > "unittest.h" was designed following the ideas of Kent Becks "JUnit"
> > (see "http://www.junit.org/"). It has the following features:
>
> I had considered suggesting an xUnit flavor (I really like the idea of using Python to test
> C++ somehow), but upon more thought I decided against it for two reasons:
> 1) complexity - we have more than our share of unresolved issues regarding building
> executables. Anything that increases that is probably a bad thing. Beman's is simple and
> sufficient (almost? can you test that an exception was thrown on error?).

This is not the true for "unittest.h". It is a simple command line tool
with just 580 lines of pure C++. It doesn't have a user interface and
doesn't require anything beyond a C++ compiler. It's not fundamentally
different from what Beman's tool is supposed to do eventually, only that
it has more features and has been used already.

> 2) non-standard - Two things here my DynCppUnit is different than the CppUnit on
> xprogramming.com is different than Ullrich's.

This might be a problem. But my understanding is that boost is trying to
set the "standard" in terms of C++ libarary extensions, right?

> The basic concept is the same, but I would
> prefer to wait (and wait) for ScTest, before jumping into a more heavy-weight testing
> framework.

What's ScTest ? Why do you consider "unittest.h" heavyweight ?

> On a side note to those interested in unit tests, I've got a pretty cool little thing going
> where you put your tests (linked with the code under test) into a dynamic library and my
> little gui loads the library and runs its tests. Essentially test plugins.

It's easy to build such a thing on top of "unittest.h".

Regards

Ulli

| Ullrich Koethe  Universität Hamburg / University of Hamburg    |
|                 FB Informatik / Dept. of Computer Science      |
|                 AB Kognitive Systeme / Cognitive Systems Group |
| Phone: +49 (0)40 42883-2573                Vogt-Koelln-Str. 30 |
| Fax:   +49 (0)40 42883-2572                D - 22527 Hamburg   |
| Email: u.koethe_at_[hidden]               Germany             |
|        koethe_at_[hidden]                        |
| WWW:   http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~koethe/      |