From: Lie-Quan Lee (llee1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-08 15:40:13

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Thomas Matelich wrote:

> Today begins the formal review of the Boost Cast Library, available at:
> http://www.egroups.com/files/boost/cast.zip
> Code and documentation included.
>
> For anyone who missed the initial discussion, cast.hpp has never been
> formally accepted into boost as it was in boost before there were
> reviews. Also, we have lexical_cast included in this library.
>
> Complete details on the review process can be found at:
> http://www.boost.org/more/formal_review_process.htm
>
> Please remember to put your recommendation about acceptance at the top
> of the message. Messages may be sent to the list or directly to me.

Hi everyone,
  This is the first time I participated in the boost formal review. I
looked formal_review_process.htm which basically encourages every boost
mailing list member to comment on the reviewing library.

I feel that polymorphic_downcast and polymorphic_cast are well-designed. I
hope that someday it may replace current standard static_cast and
dynamic_cast. numeric_cast and lexical_cast provides very handy
functionalities in safe and efficient way. It is great to include them in
boost library.

I see the comments about "MSVC 6.0, BCC5.5, and g++ 2.91" in files
uploaded on 11/29/00. I think that the more testing on various platform,
the better. So I compiled test files on my system (Sun Solaris2.7, KCC
3.4g (KAI's C++ compiler.)

On compiling lexical_cast_test.cpp, there is a warning message.

"test.hpp", line 34: warning: exception specification for implicitly declared
          virtual function "test::failure::~failure" is incompatible with that
          of overridden function "std::exception::~exception"
      class failure : public std::exception

On compiling cast_test.cpp, a harmless unused variable warning
appeared. My personal inclination is removing any compiler warning even
it is trivial.

"cast_test.cpp", line 131: warning: variable "ul" was set but never used
      unsigned long ul;

--
Lie-Quan Lee
Lab for Scientific Computing