From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-11 08:22:49

At 07:49 AM 12/11/2000 -0500, John Maddock wrote:

>... I don't like the idea of having all the cpp files in one directory -
>there is no guarentee that all of them will build (not all libraries are
>supported on all platforms). Nor do I think there should be a single
>"boost" library build, although I use large parts of boost, I have never
>used all of it in one project, users should not pay for what they don't
>use, and would prefer to see the boost libraries continue to build as
>separate libraries. For me that means that putting source in
><boost>/libs/libname/src is fine, as long as it is properly documented.

I'm in complete agreement with John.

In addition to his points, consider that boost will almost certainly grow
far beyond the current size and scope. It will be unmanageable if we just
toss all source files into a single source directory.

I can't even count the number of times I've considered using a component of
some library, only to reject it because I had to buy into the whole
unbounded library just to get the one component. Boost has to figure out
how to avoid that fate. We don't know the whole answer yet, but keeping
separate library directories seems likely to be part of the solution.

--Beman