From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-16 18:02:25

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Squyres" <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>

> Going with a "make install" concept would make this point moot; library
> authors would be much freer to do what they wanted/needed in their own
> directories. With that concept, only the install tree structure would be
> important.

I like this idea a lot, both for ease of maintenance and because I
build/test with multiple compilers and sometimes for multiple targets. Once
I boostified py_cpp and the headers became separated from the associated
source files, maintenance became painful. I used to switch between related
sources and headers with a single keystroke, but now I find myself
navigating up and down a directory hierarchy. Of course, I use the One True
Editor (emacs) so I'm sure I could program it to do what I want, but I'm not
elisp guru yet...

Anyway, my one concern is that it be possible to set up include paths so
that test programs can be compiled to #include files from the development
tree just as though they were #including the same files from the install
tree. If that doesn't work, testing and maintenance will only be more
painful than they currently are.

-Dave