From: Jeff Paquette (paquette_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-18 16:58:24

Where I work we have three basic assertion macros for design-by-contract:
Assert, Require, and Ensure. Require's are for preconditional checks, Ensure
are postconditions, and Asserts are for algorithmic checking (ie, in-process
states).

We also have conditional forms: AssertIf, RequireIf, EnsureIf that perform
the assertion iff the condition is true. For instance:

SomeClass *p;

AssertIf(p, p->SomeCheck());

AssertIf is defined as follows:

#define AssertIf(_cond_, _exp_) Assert(!(_cond_) || (_exp_))

where Assert is our customized assertion handler (dialog in gui mode,
individual assertion suppression, drop into debugger, ignore, throw etc.).

If anyone would like more information, drop me a line.

--
Jeff Paquette
paquette at mediaone.net
http://www.atnetsend.net