From: Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-12-21 17:26:07

Paris (U.E.), le 21/12/2000

        Actually, the file I uploaded is one end product of soome work I
did with a colleague about orientation interpolation (quaternions are
superior to Euler angles, among other reasons because they are not
succeptible to "gimbal lock", which is a degeneracy in the
representation for special values of the orientation).

        The problem we solved (though this is *not* included in the public
file), is that of orientation under constraint, i.e. if we want to
emulate a real film camera, the "up" must not "wobble" between
keyframes. I tried to licence that part, so far with no result :-< .

        One thing which *is* in that file is the exponential of the
quaternions, which I believe, is a result which I invented (more
precisely, the closed formula giving the result is my invention, not
the existence of the exponential (of one stripe or another) on the
quaternions...). This can be used to achieve interpolation of
orientations (in 3d-space), but with the "woble"...

        A last note: I have some ideas about cryptography and quaternions,
but the implementation I proposed is not the best suited to this
problem.

                Hubert Holin
                Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden]

-