From: Joe Gottman (joegottman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-21 21:26:00

As the one who originally made the suggestion, I would like to point out
that my original suggestion was that scoped_ptr, not shared_ptr, be given a
release() method. Since a scoped_ptr has exclusive ownership of the object
it points to, it becomes much easier to implement the release() method.

Joe Gottman