From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-28 10:26:08

At 07:37 AM 12/28/2000 +0000, Joseph Berrios wrote:

>I did some research on the MAC Socket interface. I was surprised to
>find that the MAC Socket API is not compatible with the BSD Socket
>interface. But there does exist an implementation of BSD Sockets for
>the Mac. GUSI (Grand Unified Socket Interface) is a library that
>implementes BSD style sockets on the Mac. I beleive that with this
>library, my Socket library can be ported to the Mac. You can find
>more information and download this library at:
>
>http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~neeri/macintosh/gusi-qa.html#Q1

Python has a socket library. The blurb reads "This module provides access
to the BSD socket interface. It is available on all modern Unix systems,
Windows, MacOS, BeOS, OS/2, and probably additional platforms."

See http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-socket.html

So it looks like it is possible to provide that interface on a wide variety
of platforms. You might want to look at the docs since "The Python
interface is a straightforward transliteration of the Unix system call and
library interface for sockets to Python's object-oriented style: the
socket() function returns a socket object whose methods implement the
various socket system calls. Parameter types are somewhat higher-level than
in the C interface: as with read() and write() operations on Python files,
buffer allocation on receive operations is automatic, and buffer length is
implicit on send operations."

--Beman