From: John Maddock (John_Maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-03 06:27:58

>I'm inclined to agree with MIPSPro over VC (so is Sun's 5.0 compiler,
>BTW). Isn't it supposed to check for legal constructs at the point of
>instantiation?

Yes, but the default argument should not be instantiated unless used.

Having said that, this is a special case, because the defualt argument is
not a dependent type, and so doesn't really need instantiating as such, a
more typical case where this would occur is with something like:

template <class Int>
class myclass
{
        myclass(Int i = 0);
};

What happens if Int is a user defined integral type (BigInt for example),
that does not happen to have a conversion from int?

- John.