From: Milutin Jovanovic (miki_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-04 09:59:43

----- Original Message -----
> > three

> > out
> > out
> > >
> > > Can't at least some of the thread synchronization primitives
> > > be implemented so that they work no matter how the threading
> > > is done?
> >
> > All of them are implemented independent of the thread type(s). Sorry
> > if I caused confusion on this point.
>
> Good, thanks.

I am suffering extreme time shortage, so I have kept my mouth closed for a
very long time. However, at this stage I have to ask the following. What is
the aim of the threading support we are planning? Is it:

 a) rudimentary support for the multi-threading promitives
 b) provinding a complete set of sophisticated objects to support
multi-threading

A) means providing very basic mutex, conditional variables, thread, all
independent of each other. B) would provide these and more, and allow more
sophisticated uses like waiting for multiple conditions, prioritised
mutexes/CV's, even allowing to wait on socket (and any other convinient
condition) together with threading primitives.

I for one have no preference on the choice. But every time people say "mutex
should be independent of thread" or similar, my question pops up in my mind
again.

Cheers,

Miki Jovanovic.