From: Greg Colvin (greg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-22 10:22:10

From: Dejan Jelovic <djelovic_at_[hidden]>

> Let me use this opportunity to make a suggestion to the VC++ team:
>
> Why don't you replace Dinkumware's STL with STLport? I'm sure Boris would be
> willing to license STL to you guys on very favorable terms, and this would
> take care of whole lot of headaches.
>
> Two reasons why this would be a good move:
> 1. Dinkumware still has a number of bugs.
> 2. STLport has a debug mode in which it checks if one is using invalidated
> iterators, incompatible iterators, etc. This is extremely useful.

The version of Dinkumware Microsoft was shipping was way out of
date, but even so it was the least of the problems with VC++.
In fact, by working around the bugs and non-compliance of the
VC++ compiler in order to provide a nearly-compliant Standard
Library to us unfortunate VC++ users Dinkumware solves far more
problems than it causes, and remains a big factor in the success
of the STL.