From: bdawes_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-01-26 13:01:22

--- In boost_at_y..., "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_m...> wrote:
> > --- In boost_at_y..., "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_m...> wrote:
> > > After reading the documentation and browsing the code, I'm still
> > somewhat
> > > confused about the purpose of the Program Execution Library.
Why is
> > this
> > > level necessary?
> >
> > So that uses in production programs have no dependencies on test
> > libraries.
>
> What are the benefits of using the Program Execution Library
> in production programs?

More uniform reporting of errors, particularly exceptions.

This is particularly useful for programs running unattended under
control of scripts or batch files. Some operating systems pop up
message boxes if an uncaught exception occurs, and this requires
operator intervention. By converting such exceptions to non-zero
program return codes, the library makes the program a better citizen.

OTOH, more uniform reporting of errors isn't a benefit to some
programs, particularly programs always run by hand by a knowledgable
person. So cpp_main() wouldn't be worth using in that environment.

--Beman