From: Lois Goldthwaite (loisg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-01-30 12:21:57

> Anyone subscribing to various eGroups admin lists like
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eGroups-Moderator-News or
> changes ever since Yahoo bought eGroups last August. There was a beta
> site, news sites, etc.

Did they specifically mention that items like age, sex, and
currently-online would show up in the public list of group members? I
knew that egroups had been acquired by Yahoo, but all I knew about Yahoo
was that it's a portal ( == page full of lots of ads that takes forever
to download) and I can't stand such things, so never visit them.

There are some strict laws in Europe about what personal information a
company is allowed to keep, and what it's permitted to do with that
data. That's why the folks on this side of the pond have been jumping up
and down (TM Dave Abrahams).

FWIW, the old egroups login screen is still available at
www.egroups.co.uk. As of today, it still wasn't necessary to convert to
a Yahoo ID.

Looking on the bright side, though, would there be any advantage to us
of Yahoo's online chat facility? It might be possible to hold technical
discussions in real time.

Lois