From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-07 15:51:26

Paul Moore wrote:
> Good point. I'll add one. A diff for rational.html is attached.

Applied.

> > Shouldn't the I/O operators be templated on character and traits types?
>
> I recall worrying about this in a different context, and I thing for
> rational as well. The poblem is that I need a literal '/'. How do I spell
> that for a general character type? (Hypothetical question)

Since "/" is in the basic execution character set, calling
widen() yields a wchar_t representation of it.
Of course, that doesn't say anything whether "/" is everyone's
preference for separating numerator and denominator.

> > The output operator doesn't take item widths into account (i.e. it'll space
> > just the numerator, not the whole fraction).

Note that std::complex is specified exactly that way (i.e. just space the
real part and leave the imag part alone). An defect report was turned
down because the language is explicit.

> > 2. You use the _MSC_VER macro to option on the Microsoft Visual C++
> > compiler being used, due its infamous shortcomings. You should use the
> > BOOST_MSVC macro, since other Windows compilers may also define the former
> > macro, making it ambiguous. (Those other compilers may not have [all of]
> > MSVC++'s shortcomings.)

I cannot find any mention of _MSC_VER in the current CVS.

> > You have a problem similar to [2] above in "rational_test.cpp," line 197.

This last occurrence just got eradicated.

Jens Maurer