From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-08 16:17:03

Daryle Walker wrote:

> With the debacle over issues with overloading standard routines (brought to
> the forefront by boost::rational), should we have a swapping routine in
> boost? It would be generalized as a class/function template pair:

I'd be much happier if the policy we adopt now is compatible with the
policy to be set forth for overloading of std names by the ISO committee.

The "function calls class specialization" approach is interesting,
but too ugly in my eyes.

Personally, I believe that overloading in std should be ok, except that
the set of restrictions must be worked out carefully. However, at least
the simple void std::abs(const my_class<T>&) should pose no problem
at all regarding potential ambiguities.

Boost could be a test ground for such a resolution.

Jens Maurer