From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-09 15:57:02

At 07:21 PM 2/9/2001 +0000, williamkempf_at_[hidden] wrote:

>Documentation:
>
>test_lib_design.htm has the text "and an design oriented design".
>Honestly, I'm not sure I know what's being said in this sentence. My
>guess is that you accidently used the word "design" twice, and the
>first word was meant to be something else. Regardless it would be "a
>design" not "an design".

Supposed to read: "an object-oriented design"

Fixed.

>test_tools.htm has the text "human inspection of output to detect
>error messages is to time consuming and unreliable" under Rationale.
>Need to change "to" to "too".

Fixed.

>Implementation:
>
>cpp_main.cpp uses a form of conditional include in which an error is
>generated if the file is included twice. This "feels" wrong to me.
>It suggests that you're attempting to prevent violations of ODR, but
>in fact it will only prevent multiple inclusions in the same
>translation unit. I think general usage patterns will insure that
>the ODR is not violated and that there's no need for artificially
>trying to protect the programmer from themselves, especially when
>it's only a partial solution.

I see your point. The code is there because the file is sometimes included
as a header, and it is traditional to protect headers from double
inclusion. But of course it isn't a header in the normal sense, so what
you say makes sense. I think about it a bit more.

>Also, since catch_exceptions takes a function object as the first
>parameter the use of a function pointer and two global variables
>doesn't feel right. I'd suggest using a true function object
>constructed with the argc and argv parameters instead. I know that
>this is a personal preference kind of thing, but usage of global
>variables for this sort of thing seems very questionable.

They actually aren't globals; they are in the unnamed namespace and thus
safe to use AFAIK. But none-the-less, I had exactly the same thought about
using a true function object. My reasoning went something like "why bother
since it doesn't actually buy you anything." But I may reconsider in light
of your comment.

>In catch_exceptions.hpp I wonder about the usefulness of capturing
>every exception type in the std::exception heirarchy. If it's
>beneficial to have the exact type reported then it seems that there
>needs to be a way to specify types that will be caught. Otherwise
>libraries that extend this heirarchy with their own exception types
>will be reported as generic exception types while the standard
>exception types that extend the heirarchy are more precise. I'd be
>in favor of just catching std::exception types instead.

I don't agree. I think we should be as explicit as possible. Furthermore,
as soon as I get a chance, my plan was to further extend the types caught
to cover platforms like Windows where it is possible to turn OS exceptions
into C++ exceptions with some platform dependent code.

>In test_tools.hpp I'd suggest adding two more macros:
>BOOST_TEST_FAILURE and BOOST_TEST_CRITICAL_FAILURE. These would take
>string descriptions instead of boolean test results for reporting
>errors that are hard or even impossible to capture in boolean
>conditions. For example, if we expect a call to return an exception
>when can write test code like this:
>
>try
>{
> foo();
> BOOST_TEST_FAILURE("foo() did not generate a bar() exception");
>}
>catch (bar&)
>{
>// ok
>}

I like it! I also like your use of "CRITICAL" to identify a non-resumable
error. (Assuming that is what you meant!). I'm a bit nervous over the name
BOOST_TEST_ASSERT because I'm afraid readers will think it is just a
half-baked wrapper.

Maybe the names should be:

    BOOST_TEST_VERIFY
    BOOST_TEST_CRITICAL_VERIFY
    BOOST_TEST_FAILURE
    BOOST_TEST_CRITICAL_FAILURE

or

    BOOST_TEST_VERIFY
    BOOST_TEST_VERIFY_CRITICAL
    BOOST_TEST_FAILURE
    BOOST_TEST_FAILURE_CRITICAL

Comments?

>That's all that I caught on my initial review. Over all I believe
>the submission to be more than appropriate for acceptance.

Thanks!

>I'm anxiously awaiting the unit test stuff.

Me too. I hope someone will look at a generic programming approach in
addition to the more traditional object-oriented approach.

--Beman