From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-13 21:18:42

I have been toying with a couple of compressing stream classes. Basically, the
library implements a compressing streambuf and corresponding stream classes. So
you do something normal like this like this:

  ofzstream outfile("myfile"); //open a compressing file stream
  outfile << "put some stuff into the file" << std::endl;
  //...

  ifzstream infile("infile"); //you get the idea.

At this point it cannot be submitted to boost because it uses zlib
http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/zlib/ under the hood to do all the work.
The advantage is that zlib is fast and it is compatible with gzip. I have
tested it with g++2.95.2 under Cygwin. However, the current implementation does
not compile with VC++6.0 SP4 and I haven't had time to track it down.

My long term plan was to rebuild the compression algorithms using generic
programming techniques. Unfortunately, I know that I am too busy at the moment
to refactor it for submission in the near term. However, I am certainly willing
to collaborate with you if want to use it as a starting point :) Just send me
an email offline.

Jeff
jeff_at_[hidden]