From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-02-14 18:10:50

> One possible way to deal with this (assuming zlib is of high quality, its

Seems to be of high quality, I infer from Peter's comments that he also seems
to think so.

> authors are interested, and meets other criteria) might be to bring it
> under the Boost umbrella. This might be done in two ways - 1) simply
> include it in the distribution as an implementation detail without directly

I'm going to guess that the authors are ok with this since their license is
completely unrestricted as long as the copyright in the file isn't changed.
However, this has the previously mentioned issue of maintenance. Obviously we
should ask before we do this.

I'm thinking (and hearing) that the way to go would be to use zlib on the
platform if it exists, and deliver it as a detail for those platforms where it
doesn't (essentially Peter's suggestion). This avoids any extra downloading and
means the maintenance means paying attention to zlib releases and upgrading the
boost detail as needed.

> exposing it, or 2) convince the authors to submit it to boost like any
> other library.

I doubt they would want to do this. zlib is a C library which is used as a
basis for compression libraries in C, JAVA, and LISP (at least). So I'm sure
they would view a boost C++ adapter as another example of a layer on top.

So, in conclusion, unless I hear further suggestions I will work toward the
solution suggested above....

Jeff