From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-22 11:26:08

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Toon Knapen wrote:

toon> Jeremy Siek wrote:
toon> > I've uploaded ipm-2.0.tar.gz to Files if anyone is interested.
toon>
toon> Looks like they've invested quit some effort on it. Should be
toon> reusable. Only the idea of using environment variables is not
toon> interesting for a generic library since every app wants to
toon> configure its component in hiw own way.

I agree. I think we should just hard-code in the best choice on each
platform.

toon> Templating the system routines called on the other hand
toon> as suggested by Michel Andre demands to change the code
toon> on every platform since most counter classes will
toon> not be usable on all platforms.
toon>
toon> I guess the library should try to use on every platform
toon> the most performance/least overhead counter possible
toon> and just providing a platform-indep. interface for it.

Right.

Cheers,
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek www: http://www.lsc.nd.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Candidate email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 Univ. of Notre Dame work phone: (219) 631-3906