From: Lie-Quan Lee (llee1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-22 12:13:56

At Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:15:20 -0000,
Bill Kempf wrote:

> --- In boost_at_y..., Lie-Quan Lee <llee1_at_l...> wrote:
> > Hi Bill,
> >
> > Is any particular reason why a boost mutex in your code is
> > implemented by two pthread mutex and one condition variable? I
> > recalled that I saw a comment on this but I did not see a
> followup.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Check out the latest upload. This is not the case any more.

I downloaded the latest zip. Yes, your implementation changed. You
asked this since you did not mentioned this change in the previous
message. Sorry.

However, could you explain a little bit why a single pthread mutex
cannot serve the purpose? You used a pthread mutex and a condition
vairable.

It looks like the mutex implementation try to protect a case that a
thread other than mutex owner to release mutex. If that does happen,
exception lock_error is thrown. I see the mutex documentation metioned
"safety". That is the safety provided. Is that right?

Thanks.

--
Lie-Quan Lee