From: Toon Knapen (toon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-22 15:32:29

"George A. Heintzelman" wrote:

> > Speaking of implementation independent timing classes reminded me that I
> > will very shortly be needing some way of representing dates and times in a
> > project I am working on. Does anyone have any recomendations? This is the
> > sort of library I would have thought would be ideal for boost.
>
> I think this would be great to have standardized, even at the standard
> time() granularity of one second. I've seen many tries at such classes,
> none of them wholly satisfactory. A few things that I have observed
> which I think should be taken into account in any such classes:

It's my impression there are two camps with an interest in date/time.

The first group needs it for 'business' applications to do global
calendering operations.
A second group wants it for timing routines/algorithms.

Where the first group needs a class that represents global time,
the second group needs all the accuracy they can get.
A lightweight class using only one datamember
(e.g. clock_t) can not satisfy both groups (datarange is
too limited). Increasing the size of the class on the other
could increase the overhead (which is of utmost importance
to the second group).
Maybe there is an approach which works for both but I just
wanted to raise the point and look at the scope of the
problem before thinking about a solution.