From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-23 12:12:24

Steven Kirk wrote:

> Speaking of implementation independent timing classes reminded me that I
> will very shortly be needing some way of representing dates and times in a
> project I am working on. Does anyone have any recomendations? This is the
> sort of library I would have thought would be ideal for boost.

I'm assuming we're talking about Date/Time on a business level.

For performance measurements, there's Boost.Timer already
(and you usually don't care for Monday or Tuesday or leap seconds
in that domain).

Java has a Calendar class which is supposed to extend to Buddhist,
Muslim, and other calendars as well. Not for everyone is it
2001 AD this year. Just another locale parameter, I guess.

Is having some "seconds since epoch" internal storage format beneficial?
POSIX time() has it, but fails to represent leap seconds correctly
(and leap seconds need manual maintenance, btw.).

I'd like to see the requirements written down, separated by application
domain. And I'd like to see the task decomposed into manageable
classes. E.g., separate (Gregorian, Buddhist, whatever) calendar
from leap second handling, if possible.

Jens Maurer