From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-23 21:34:30

At 08:58 PM 3/23/2001, David Abrahams wrote:

>We could change the Messages setting to Public (anyone, including
>non-members, can view messages). I don't see any reason why we shouldn't.
>I'd like to give Beman and Jens a chance to object before I do this,
>though.
>For that matter, I'd like to hear from the membership if there are any
>objections (no need to vote in favor, yet!)

I think the original reason for limiting it to members only was fear that
people would think they were looking at real Boost libraries, rather than
just work-in-process which might never turn into a library.

It would be easy enough to try public access. We can always revert to
"members only" if problems arise.

Before making any change, though, we ought to have a files/vault
house-cleaning. That is needed anyhow. I think for many files Yahoo lost
the ownership at some point, so the moderators will have to do the deletion
on those.

It might also be useful to add a "README" file that says in effect that
these files are working documents which may never see the light of day as
Boost libraries.

--Beman